About Winthrop Gardens
Winthrop Gardens is a one-acre Community Gardens at the end of Second Lane, off Morthen Rd. (Postcode S66 1EE to find us on your sat nav)
In the ownership of Wickersley Parish Council since 2016, the governance of the Gardens is undertaken through a sub Committee of the Parish Council.
In addition to the Gardens, which have been designed for peace and tranquillity, Winthrop includes welcoming Tea Rooms, Plant Sales and a Curiosity Corner.
Winthrop is inclusive and accessible to all and wheelchair friendly throughout.
The Winthrop ethos is very much about extending the warmest of welcomes to those who need that extra little bit of friendship and support.
• Winthrop Gardens is open to the public as follows:-
• Winter – Tuesday and Thursday between 11am and 3pm
• Summer – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 10.30am and 4.00pm
Other regular activities at Winthrop include:-
• a monthly ‘Memory Café’ for people living with dementia and their carers on the first Friday of the month;
• ‘Flossies Crafts’ every Tuesday morning;
• ‘Create and Natter’ every Thursday morning;
• as well as a range of classes run by U3A including Italian and Gardening.
In addition there are always different events happening at Winthrop – Supper Nights; Afternoon Teas; Garden Talks and Tours; the now Annual ‘Great Winthrop Bake Off’; an opening in June as part of the National Open Gardens Scheme into which the Gardens have been accepted.
Run by a team of 50+ volunteers Winthrop offers a range of volunteering opportunities – particularly in the Gardens and Tea Rooms. We are always on the look out for new volunteers to support an expanding and busy community enterprise and welcome enquiries via the Winthrop Organiser.
Contact person: Anna Chester, Winthrop Organiser
Address: Second Lane, off Morthen Rd, Wickersley, Rotherham S66 1EE
Tel 07397 039 226
Click image to read & download our latest newsletter
Where We Are
Please click and zoom on the interactive map below to find the location of Winthrop Gardens.