Who we are
About The Parish Council
Wickersley Parish Council serves the civil Parish of Wickersley, which has a population of around 8,000 people living in 3,200 residential properties. The Council has sixteen members, elected by residents, and represents the first tier of local government in Rotherham. Parish Councillors receive no payment.
Council meetings are held in the new Community Centre on Bawtry Road on the third Monday of each month at 7.00 p.m, apart from the month of August. There is also a meeting of Parishioners (the Annual Assembly of the Parish Meeting) held in May each year. Other Public Meetings are held to discuss particular matters as and when they arise.
Parishioners are encouraged to attend Council Meetings and are permitted limited discussion. Notices of meetings are placed on Parish Notice Boards at the Community Centre and on this website
For further information relating to the services offered by the Parish Council please contact the Parish Clerk who will be happy to give advice and assistance.
What we do
What do we do?
The Parish Council duties include: The ownership and/or the management of numerous facilities around Wickersley, for the benefit of residents, including:
- Wickersley Community Centre and Library (set up in 2008 by the Parish Council and managed by Wickersley Community Centre Association on our behalf)
- Wickersley Park recreation ground, off Warren Road
- Bob Mason Recreation Ground (including management of the sports pavilion and football pitches), off Sorby Way
- Wickersley Wood, off Wood Lane – for which we have won a national award for best kept woodland.
- Wickersley Gorse, off Air Mount Close – Wickersley's best kept secret – wood and gorse land with superb views over Sheffield
- Winthrop Gardens - a one acre Community Garden located at the end of Second Lane
- Preparation of a Neighbourhood Plan to help protect the area
- Wickersley Bowling Club, off Warren Road (contact the Bowling Club Secretary on 01709 541818)
- Wickersley Allotments, off Second Lane (contact the Allotments Secretary on 01709 543872)
- Flower/shrub beds at numerous locations around Wickersley, including railing planters and hanging baskets on Bawtry Road
- Tanyard Public Toilets, and the cleaning/gritting/sweeping of the Tanyard Shopping Centre grounds, on behalf of the owners
- Maintaining 26 seating benches around the parish!
- Reviewing and commenting on planning applications within the Wickersley area
- Organising regular events in Wickersley (see calendar on this website)
- Liaising with relevant authorities regarding infrastructure, policing, consultations and community issues to represent your views and get the best advantage for Wickersley
- Engaging with all interested parties regarding current and future shape of life in the local area
Our councillors are elected or co-opted, if you would like to become a councillor or find out more about what they do then please contact the Clerk to the Council.
Parish Council Meetings and Sub Committees
Parish Council Meetings
Parish Council Meetings at Wickersley we hold 11 meetings a year usually on the 3rd Monday of the month, these are held at the Community Centre @ 286 Bawtry Road commencing at 6.30pm. Members of the public are more than welcome to attend and details of the meetings can be found in the Meetings calendar. Please note there are no meeting in August.
There are sub committees of the full council, who deal with specific areas of responsibility, and report back to the full parish regularly with a snap shot of their plans and projects.
Their protocol is determined by the Terms of Reference (What they can do) dates of their meetings can be found on the meetings tab.
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference Woodland Committee
Terms of Reference Environment Committee
Terms of Reference Events Committee
Terms of Reference Finance Committee
Terms of Reference Neighbourhood Plan Committee
Terms of Reference Planning Committee
Terms of Reference Recreation Grounds Committee
Terms of Reference Winthrop Gardens
Terms of Reference Human Resources Committee
Wickersley Parish Council Standing Orders
The standing orders of Wickersley Parish Council sets out the meeting and other procedures of the Council. They were last revised on 26th April 2021.
Wickersley Parish Council Code of Conduct
Further to the Localism Act 2011 Wickersley Parish Council is obliged to adopt a code of conduct . The below document was adopted by the Parish Council in September 2021..
Wickersley Parish Council published a 3 year business plan, commencing in 2016. It was revised in 2018 and will be revised again, later in 2020
Equal Opportunities Policy
Wickersley Parish Council adopted an Equal Opportunities policy in July 2021.
We have a Clerk to the Parish Council to deliver the range of services. She can be contacted by phone or email.
To support the work of the Clerk, we also have a Deputy Parish Clerk and an Assistant Clerk based at the Community Centre and the Organiser of Winthrop Gardens based at the Gardens.
All the above personnel work on a part time basis.
To help keep the Parish clean and tidy we have 2 part-time handymen who between them cover 7 days a week. They are responsible for emptying the bins across the Parish, cleaning and maintenance of the Tanyard Public Toilets and general maintenance and repair works throughout Wickersley
To keep the Community Centre running smoothly we have 2 part-time caretakers. They both maintain and clean the Centre as well as supporting all our Community Centre users and hirers.
Carol J Lavell
Carol J Lavell CILCA-Parish Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer
- Wickersley Parish Council
Wickersley Community Centre & Library
286 Bawtry Road, Wickersley
- 01709 703270